Comax Flavors conducts coffee study
By Canadian Vending
By Canadian Vending
Melville, NY –In January, Comax Flavors conducted its first coffee study with 500 U.S. respondents aged 18-70+. The study examined coffee preparation, consumption habits and preferences of women and men.
“Coffee is a universal staple engrained in many cultures. With so much market activity, especially in flavoured coffees and ready-to-drink (RTD) products, Comax wanted to better understand coffee consumption habits and usage among the general population,” said Catherine Armstrong, vice president of corporate communications for Comax Flavors in a news release.
Comax has partnered with Amy Marks-McGee of Trendincite LLC to manage its market research program and George Costello Creative to translate the data into creative, fun and easy-to-read infographics. Additional Comax studies include juice, flavored water, nutrition and performance products, yogurt, baked goods and spirits.
Below are a few of the study highlights.
• Flavour is the number one driver of coffee purchases among all generations with almost three-quarters (73 per cent) of respondents citing it as the most important attribute
• Gen Y (49 per cent), Gen X (44 per cent) and Gen Z (40 per cent) favour flavoured coffee compared to Baby Boomers (19 per cent)
• Nearly one-third (32 per cent) of respondents consume flavored RTD coffee
• 67 per cent of Baby Boomers and 81 per cent of respondents 71+ do not drink RTD coffee
• 40 per cent of respondents drink instant coffee. Gen Y (65 per cent) are the heaviest users followed by Gen Z (51 per cent) and Gen X (39 per cent)
• A quarter (26 per cent) of respondents use flavoured creamers in iced coffee while a third (33 per cent) use flavoured creamers in hot coffee
• Similarly, 14 per cent use flavoured syrup in iced coffee while 12 per cent use flavoured creamers in hot coffee
• 40 per cent of respondents’ coffee habits change depending on the season
• Of those respondents that drink seasonal coffee flavours, 43 per cent consume seasonal flavours in fall and winter compared to 21 per cent in spring and summer
• Respondents are sweet on coffee flavours in other applications with 46 per cent stating they enjoy coffee flavoured ice cream and 44 per cent enjoy coffee flavoured chocolate
• 64 per cent of respondents noted they drink *indulgent coffees as an alternative to a snack or dessert
*Indulgent coffee examples include Mochas, Frappuccino, Frappe etc.
Generations defined: Gen Z born 1996 and later; Gen Y born 1977 to 1995; Gen X born 1965 to 1976; Baby Boomers born 1946 to 1964; Silent Generation born 1925 to 1945