NCA names winning candies at Sweets and Snacks Expo
The National Confectioners Association (NCA) recognized candy and snack innovators at Chicago’s Sweets and Snacks Expo, and announced their winners on the 22nd of May, this year.
The listed categories and their winners are:
- Chocolate: Hershey’s Gold Standard Bar
- Non chocolate: Big Chewy Nerds
- Gum and Mints: Cool Tropical
- Novelty/licensed (candy and snacks): WARHEADS Dippin’ Rings
- Gourmet/premium (candy and snacks): That’s How We Roll – Trios/Original
- Seasonal (candy and snacks): Ferrero – Golden Heart for You & Me
- Salty snacks: Sahale Snacks Tangerine Vanilla Cashew-Macadamia Glazed Mix
- Sweet snacks: Justin’s Organic White Chocolate Mini Peanut Butter Cups
- Savory snacks: Alli & Rose – Trail Mix Crackers
The program received over 320 new products up for consideration, which the association stated in a press release, is “a double digit increase from the year previous.” Nine segments were created to categorize the sweets, and all products were judged based upon taste, innovation, packaging and saleability.
The U.S. Candy Association also awarded “Best in Show” to Hostess Brands’ Double Chocolate Cake Delights and the first Ruby Award to Barry Callebaut’s Ruby Chocolate.