Comax Flavors conducts coffee study
Melville, NY –In January, Comax Flavors conducted its first coffee study with 500 U.S. respondents aged 18-70+. The study examined coffee preparation, consumption habits and preferences of women and men.
"Coffee is a universal staple engrained in many cultures. With so much market activity, especially in flavoured coffees and ready-to-drink (RTD) products, Comax wanted to better understand coffee consumption habits and usage among the general population," said Catherine Armstrong, vice president of corporate communications for Comax Flavors in a news release.
Comax has partnered with Amy Marks-McGee of Trendincite LLC to manage its market research program and George Costello Creative to translate the data into creative, fun and easy-to-read infographics. Additional Comax studies include juice, flavored water, nutrition and performance products, yogurt, baked goods and spirits.
Below are a few of the study highlights.
• Flavour is the number one driver of coffee purchases among all generations with almost three-quarters (73 per cent) of respondents citing it as the most important attribute
• Gen Y (49 per cent), Gen X (44 per cent) and Gen Z (40 per cent) favour flavoured coffee compared to Baby Boomers (19 per cent)
• Nearly one-third (32 per cent) of respondents consume flavored RTD coffee
• 67 per cent of Baby Boomers and 81 per cent of respondents 71+ do not drink RTD coffee
• 40 per cent of respondents drink instant coffee. Gen Y (65 per cent) are the heaviest users followed by Gen Z (51 per cent) and Gen X (39 per cent)
• A quarter (26 per cent) of respondents use flavoured creamers in iced coffee while a third (33 per cent) use flavoured creamers in hot coffee
• Similarly, 14 per cent use flavoured syrup in iced coffee while 12 per cent use flavoured creamers in hot coffee
• 40 per cent of respondents' coffee habits change depending on the season
• Of those respondents that drink seasonal coffee flavours, 43 per cent consume seasonal flavours in fall and winter compared to 21 per cent in spring and summer
• Respondents are sweet on coffee flavours in other applications with 46 per cent stating they enjoy coffee flavoured ice cream and 44 per cent enjoy coffee flavoured chocolate
• 64 per cent of respondents noted they drink *indulgent coffees as an alternative to a snack or dessert
*Indulgent coffee examples include Mochas, Frappuccino, Frappe etc.
Generations defined: Gen Z born 1996 and later; Gen Y born 1977 to 1995; Gen X born 1965 to 1976; Baby Boomers born 1946 to 1964; Silent Generation born 1925 to 1945
Nescafé Gold now offers plant-based lattésNestlé launched a range of Nescafé Gold lattes crafted with…
Free Safe Snack Guide helps professionals avoid allergensSnackSafely.com, publisher of the Safe Snack Guide, the resource that…
Werther's Original unveils new brand creative with contestU.S. caramel brand, Werther's Original, is debuting new brand creative…
Halo Top ice cream bars now available in CanadaHalo Top Creamery launched its new range of snackable bars…